Is it Safe to Clean Black Mold Yourself?

Our house is our total comfort zone. It may be the haven where we can find room for solace and comfort after the day’s toxic and stressful day. But undeniably, our home may also be the very haven of bacteria, airborne viruses, and black molds. The word “black mold” might spiral your cortisol level and start panicking about it. 

Obviously, there is no need to panic, for black mold may not be serious that can cause death, but it may trigger some allergic reactions. Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly known as “black mold” lurks in moist surfaces like drywall, fibreboard, and gypsum board. It thrives in houses that oftentimes have moist surfaces due to having leak pipes or due to water damage, or your home is located in a place that is prone to be flooded.

If the house usually has a moist condition most likely than not it will attract black molds. It may be considered as something that can be a nuisance, especially that it causes damage to your tiles. 

The presence of black molds in the house may cause some alarm, especially if some of the family members are having some allergies for the simple fact that this black mold itself is an allergen. It can trigger allergic reactions, especially to those who have respiratory allergies like asthma, and people suffering from immunosuppression can greatly feel the impact of mold’s mycotoxins. Media had just ballooned black mold by making it appear to be dangerous and deadly by having the phrases like “toxic mold syndrome” or “toxic black mold,” but the fact still remains that it is just but an allergen.

Related Articles:

To further understand the health risk that the black mold may bring, it is noteworthy to consider the study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) wherein the spores of the black mold may cause to trigger flu-like symptoms like stuffy nose, cold, wheezing, and skin, and eye irritation. The condition may be worsened into fever, nausea, and shortness of breath if there is a prolonged exposure to the black mold.

Whether it poses a great danger to one’s health or not but there is still a need to get rid of it, for it is unsanitary to have black mold around your house, for it may cause some contamination, especially during this time that the world is facing the Pandemic brought by a certain virus that affects one’s respiratory system. 

Same with other microscopic viruses and bacteria, the black mold is being brought home through the clothes we wear, and it sticks into it until it successfully penetrates our homes. It thrives and will find a moist home conducive to stay. However, if the house is not moist or being surrounded by water, most likely, it will not last. It could be the logical reason why this black mold can usually be found in water areas that have been caused by water leaking pipes, flood and plumbing problems.

Once inside the house, the black mold can easily make a colony through your precious carpet that oftentimes absorbs the water that has been leaked or through drywall and gypsum board that absorbs the most water. 

There are things that you can do in order to prevent black mold habitation inside your home. Before panicking, you need to understand and assess the possible problem spot, and you may already choose how to respond to the problem. It could either be doing it by yourself or let the professional do it for you. 

Proper ventilation of the house will surely drive out any bacteria and molds that inhabit your home; suppose you can still spot black mold despite putting proper ventilation. In that case, you may opt to do it yourself by making a cleaning solution through a bleach but make sure that you are wearing the appropriate and protective gear when you are cleaning and getting rid of the black mold and make sure that there is proper ventilation.

It is safe to clean and get rid of black mold in your home, but it is only feasible if the area to be cleaned is only about ten square feet or roughly about three feet by three feet. The mixture of the cleaning solution is just the combination of tap water and bleach. The black mold can easily be removed by scrubbing. 

However, if it exceeds ten square feet, it is better to leave it to the professional. There are lines of experts and contractors that you can immediately contact to lend you a professional hand in getting rid of the black mold. Trust those guys that got the appropriate insurance and licenses that have been issued by organizations like the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).

Are you looking for Mold Removal Services in Richmond, VA? Call Richmond VA Mold Removal Experts today!

If you are looking for a mold inspection or mold remediation services in Richmond, VA, Richmond VA Mold Removal Experts will visit your home and thoroughly inspect it to check for sources. Call us at (804) 538-4224!

Services That We Provide